Q. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Published on Jul 01, 2018

I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.

Hematology Pathology
#

You have been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it.

Further tests need to be done as follows:

1. HBsAg test.
  2. SGOT (aspartate aminotransferase) estimation.
  3. SGPT (alanine aminotransferase) estimation.
  4. HBV DNA by PCV (polymerase chain reaction).

According to these reports, further management can be done. There is no need of antiviral drug for HBsAg positive without active phase. Revert back after doing these tests.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all the data posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are two abnormalities in your reports. The first one is that the percentage of lymphocytes are high and that of the neutrophils are low. This is commonly seen in viral fever. Y...  Read Full

Is hepatitis B curable?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hepatitis B patient. My current status is as follows. HBeAg - negative (0.010), HBV E antibody or Ag - positive (0.031) and HBV DNA quantitative (PCR) less than 17.1 IU/mL. Please advise whether this can be cured to become negative as it is affecting my career.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When both anti-HBe (anti-hepatitis B E antigen) and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) are positive (HBeAg - negative), there is reduced infectivity and the patient is expected to resolve the infection spontaneously. The Anti-HBe antibodies may be detectable in a chro...  Read Full

I am an HBsAg carrier. Is there any treatment for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an HBsAg carrier, and I want to travel abroad for a job. I came to know about my status during a medical checkup, and after that, I got my complete blood test done. I am scared after reading about it on the internet. I have attached my test reports for your better understanding. ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your query. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) positive, but your liver function tests are normal, which is a good thing. It would take 6 to 8 weeks for the viral serology to im...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now