Q. I am pregnant and my entire body is itching, what could be the reason?

Dr. Gowrimeena
Published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2018

I am pregnant, and my entire body is itching. What could be the reason? Please help.

Dr. Gowrimeena

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If there is itching alone (especially involving palms and soles) without any skin rashes, it could be a condition called obstetric cholestasis. In obstetric cholestasis, the liver is unable to send out the waste product called bile acids, and they accumulate in the blood and get deposited in the skin leading to itching.

This can be picked up by a simple blood test. It can affect the baby if the levels are too high. We generally deliver the baby by 37 weeks to avoid this. You will need other tests to check for liver function, hepatitis virus, etc. And we need to monitor the baby through scans, CTG (cardiotocography), etc.

Why am I having severe itching beneath the belly and between thighs?

Query: Hi doctor,My problem is severe itching beneath the belly and between thighs. There are also marks. When I first consulted, the doctor prescribed Onabet cream. It did not go. The second time, another doctor prescribed Permethrin cream. It did not go. Later I consulted a doctor directly and he gave me...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Marks could be scratch marks due to dryness, it could be due to scabies for which you have been given Permethrin and it could be a fungal infection for which you have used Clotrimazole cream. Sometimes fungal infection may require six week...  Read Full

How can itching be effectively and safely controlled during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 35 years old and is four months pregnant now. She is suffering from severe itching which is not responding to any medication. Her doctor advised to take Udiliv 150 and Cetirizine, but there is no relief. We changed the doctor, and this doc advised to take Udiplus 300, capsu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, it is obstetric cholestasis. During pregnancy, Udiliv (Ursodeoxycholic acid) 300 mg is the best and effective treatment for cholestasis. Your gynecologist has prescribed yo...  Read Full

I have severe itching in the groin area. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have itchy boils on the scrotum and groin areas. During the day, I feel too itchy, and due to the itching, I have developed rashes which are painful. When I try to break them, it starts to bleed. Sometimes, I have the itchiness during the night as well. I have attached an image for y...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and seen your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does look like a fungal infection. Due to the application of steroid-based products, the clinical picture has been altered. The use of a steroid-based product for a fun...  Read Full