Q. Is it fine to stop with 8 weeks course of treatment for hepatitis C?

Published on Jun 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 24, 2019

I am 40 years old. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C before 16 years while donating blood. No allopathy treatment was taken till last month. My liver function tests are monitored regularly. Most of the time, the result will be elevated levels of SGOT and SGPT of 200 and 300 respectively. But, it did not affect me in any way. My appetite is very normal and I am a pure vegetarian. In my recent test, I was diagnosed with genotype 1 and the maximum viral load was 12 lakhs. I started on treatment of SOF+LDV. Followed by that, viral load checked after 7 days and 30 days showed not detectable. Also, for the first time my LFT came back completely normal with no elevated level of any enzyme. Most of the research suggests that 8 weeks treatment is fine, if the reports are normal. Should I complete 12 weeks or stop after 8 weeks of treatment? Please advise.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com,

We are here to help you.

• I would highly recommend you to continue the medicine for 12 weeks at least.
  • You are very lucky that your viral load is undetectable just with these medicines, else most of the people with hepatitis C requires 6 to 12 months, if Interferon treatment.
  • So, let us not take any chance. Please complete the medicines.
  • Do not go on studies. Studies do have people who have failed to respond. But, since their number is less as compared to people who responded, so a study claims that.
  • But, try to understand that you can also be one of the people who did not respond or relapsed on treatment with 8 weeks therapy. So, complete the 12 weeks course.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Can hepatitis E cause black stools?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom has hepatitis E since the last 15 days. As advised by the doctor, she is taking Drakshadi Kashaya, three teaspoons mixed with nine teaspoons of water and a quarter teaspoon of Katuki Choorna. Also, she is taking Nirocil tablet thrice a day since three days. Yesterday her stool ...  Read Full »

Can hepatitis B be transmitted by saliva?

Query: Hello doctor, Is hepatitis B transmitted by saliva? Hepatitis B virus is just detected in my body. My viral load is 1.5 * 10^5 count/mL. Is it possible for me to get totally cure for this disease? If it is possible how much time will it take to get totally cured?  Read Full »

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »