Q. Do you think I would have got hepatitis C or HIV?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I am concerned as I tried cocaine 10 days ago. I used a bank note to snort it but did not share the note with anyone. There was no visible blood, etc. on the note. I had a cut in one of my nostrils and had an open wound. I was feeling unwell before this, but then got flu and cold a day later and still do not feeling great even after 10 days. Now, I have diarrhea. Do you think, I would have got hepatitis C or HIV? Most forums say that there are few chances, but highly unlikely. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.

#

• HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection is spread through the exchange of body fluids.
  • Dried blood stains cannot transmit the virus. Artificial things, such as notes in your case cannot help to serve as a focus of infection as the virus cannot survive.
  • You can be assured that there is no risk of HIV and you can rest your fears.
  • Among the methods of spread, unprotected sexual exposure, intravenous drug abuse and blood transfusions have to be kept in mind. There are nil chances in your case and there is no point in testing.

For further information consult a HIV-AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I had a screening test done as I was very concerned. I do not know why I am still feeling unwell, even after 10 days. I had diarrhea, and now my partner also has diarrhea. I will not be getting the test results for another three days, and I am very anxious. So, I just wanted to ask, if I did get an infection, can it be passed on so quickly?

#

• For a person to transmit the virus, he needs to be infected for a minimum of four weeks.
  • As your history is just 10 days old, this is insufficient to make you a source of infection.
  • The virus needs at least four weeks to multiply and reach sufficient levels to spread to another person.
  • Your diarrhea could be due to common causes such as food poisoning, indigestion and stress.
  • Anyways, as you have got yourself tested, do not panic anymore and wait patiently for the reports. They would most probably be negative.

1)ORS (oral rehydration solution) one sachet in one glass of water as per the frequency of episodes of loose stools.
2) Tab Loperamide, one tablet twice daily for three days. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a HIV-AIDS specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|