Q. What are the specific measures I should follow before surgery?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having surgery next week for reflux, Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair. A week before surgery, what can I do to improve my chance of success and limit the chance of complication? Can I take my Nexium (PPI) on the day of surgery or should I stop now?

#

• There are no special measures you have to take for the surgery. Just maintain a light and watery diet from a week before surgery.
  • The two last days (especially the last one) you can take any laxatives such as magnesium sulfate to clean and empty your intestine so that surgeons will have less difficulty.
  • You can continue Nexium (Esomeprazole) until last day. Do not take Nexium on the day of operation because stomach must be empty and you will take all the drugs intravenous.
  • These simple measures are up to you. The others are up to the doctors. I wish you a successful operation and a fast recovery after that.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Can I use Magnesium oxide? Is that the same?

#

Yes, you can use that instead. Do not hesitate to ask for further doubts.

For more doubts consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|