Q. What are the specific measures I should follow before surgery?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having surgery next week for reflux, Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair. A week before surgery, what can I do to improve my chance of success and limit the chance of complication? Can I take my Nexium (PPI) on the day of surgery or should I stop now?

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• There are no special measures you have to take for the surgery. Just maintain a light and watery diet from a week before surgery.
  • The two last days (especially the last one) you can take any laxatives such as magnesium sulfate to clean and empty your intestine so that surgeons will have less difficulty.
  • You can continue Nexium (Esomeprazole) until last day. Do not take Nexium on the day of operation because stomach must be empty and you will take all the drugs intravenous.
  • These simple measures are up to you. The others are up to the doctors. I wish you a successful operation and a fast recovery after that.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Can I use Magnesium oxide? Is that the same?

Dr. Eriol Braholli

#

Yes, you can use that instead. Do not hesitate to ask for further doubts.

For more doubts consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

| 

Can I have sex after 13 days of hernia surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I had hiatal hernia surgery and Nissen fundoplication 13 days ago. I did not have sex with my girlfriend for the past 13 days. Would it be fine to make love now? I know that having orgasm put some muscle tension over the abdomen. Will it cause any damage to the stitch?  Read Full »

I have pain in the inguinal hernia surgery wound. Is re-surgery necessary?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a right inguinal hernia surgery, four years back. But still, I have troubles in the surgery wound, especially when I am involved in harder or longer physical activities. I also get hurt if lying down on the side of the surgery. The doctor advised me to get a CT scan, but as I had i...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now