Q. I had umbilical hernia surgery two weeks ago. Is it normal to have spotting in the urine?

Dr. Srikanth

I am 31 years old female, my weight is 49 kg, and my height is 157 cm. I had umbilical hernia surgery about two weeks ago. After surgery, there was abdominal drainage attached to me. It was left for about five days, and I removed it. Everything was fine, but now from three days ago, I have been having spotting with my urine, and my menstrual bleeding is going to be in a week, and I have never had problems like this before. Should I see a doctor, or is it normal after umbilical hernia surgery? Please guide me.

#

I want to ask a few questions:

1) Are your cycles always regular?

2) Do you have any cramp-like pain?

3) Do you have any history of diabetes or hypertension?

4) Do you have any history of burning while passing urine?

Please answer these questions so that I can help you accordingly.

My menstrual cycle is always regular. I do not have any pain. I do not have a history of hypertension or diabetes. It is not burning. It is a little itchy during urination. This is the first time I am experiencing it. Please help me.

#

Were you catheterized during or post-surgery? Post-surgical spotting can sometimes occur, and as you are nearing your cycle, I do not think you need to worry as it is the first time. I would suggest you maintain a period diary noting down the length of the cycle, start and end dates. Suppose there are any similar complaints about the subsequent cycles. In that case, I will suggest you get a urinalysis done to rule out a urinary tract infection as you are having symptoms and send me the report. Otherwise, maintain a healthy diet and hydration for now. Please get back if you have further queries.

Is it possible my hernia will reoccur if I get pregnant? Because I did not get a mesh, it is done by stitches. So if there is a possibility for reoccurrence, how can I avoid it? Please guide me.

#

Pregnancy is a known cause for hernia recurrence. It is suggested that after hernia surgery, you wait for a year before you plan pregnancy. In the second and third trimesters of pregnancy, recurrence is more likely due to increased pressure in the abdomen. But the recurrence rate is about 10 to 13 percent, and there would be other risk factors like history of smoking, increased weight, etc., which can be contributing to the risk. If you are planning pregnancy, wait for atleast six months and later consult your surgeon or gynecologist for their opinion.

Thank you for your help.

#

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I have a question about my umbilical hernia surgery. One side is swollen. It is on the left side. And I feel like there is a knot or pimple under the skin beside my surgery. It is a little bit swollen. It has been about three weeks since surgery. Is it normal? And should I be worried and see my doctor about the lump or whatever I feel under the skin? I have attached the picture for your reference. Please guide me.

#

I have seen the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It looks good, but to confirm, is there any discharge or pain at the place where you are feeling the swelling? It can be just a reactionary inflammation to the sutures underneath, which will settle. I do not think you need to worry much. When is your next follow-up with your treating surgeon? Please answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

I do not have a follow-up. I also do not have any discharge around that area, but it is still painful to touch. Could the sutures be the reason behind it? Should I be worried, or is it normal? Kindly give your opinion.

#

It looks like suture must be the cause. There is no redness or discharge. Just wait for it to settle. For now, you can take a Vitamin-C supplement and a pain killer. But if the swelling is increasing in size or becomes painful, please visit your surgeon. I hope this was helpful.

|