Q. Based on my age and bad medical condition, should I undergo hernia surgery?

Dr. Anushtup De
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I am a VA patient. I have a GFR of 27. I have polycystic kidneys, COPD, and emphysema with severe allergies. I have hiatal hernia for 15 years. Now I am 73 years old. In this bad health, my doctor advises me to have a hernia operation to rebuild the valve. In this bad medical condition, I am not a candidate to have this three to four-hour operation. I have lung or kidney failure. What is your opinion?

#

I do not understand the full form of VA. On considering your multiple comorbidities, surgery can be considered if you are severely symptomatic due to hiatal hernia. If you have minimal symptoms such as reflux or bloating, or heartburn, then surgery is not needed. Please mention whether you have barret's esophagus on histopathological examination and endoscopy. If you do not have barret's esophagus, then you can continue taking medication. You can do surgery only while having severe symptoms even after taking medications. Otherwise, do not take any risk.

|