How to know whether the wound in my penis is due to STD or chemical irritants?

Q. I have a small wound on the penis with inflammation. Is this STD?

Answered by
Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2023

Hello doctor,

Two months ago, I used perfume and shampoo excessively after unprotected sex. I end up with inflammation on my penis, especially the top-side opening. I have to say before that I always noticed a small wound. Just mentioning it in case it is causing problems, anyway. I went to an infectious disease doctor was and given an injection for gonorrhea. Also, Doxycycline just in case, and in the middle of the Doxcycyline, he added Ciprofloxacin 750. I used both until the Doxcyline and Ciprofloxacin was over. After that, my penis inflammation was still there, it was not very bad, but it was burning sensation and stinging feeling and redness. I assumed it could be an allergic reaction so I went to a family doctor and advised me to check for STDs. He gave me Hydrocortisone and antihistamines for a week. After a week, I went to another doctor who gave me antifungal cream and tablet to use once a week for four weeks. My STD results were back negative to HIV, HCV, HBV, HSV2, RPR, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. But my HSV1 IgG was high and not IgM.

The problem was still there, I booked with a dermatologist, which I felt like the best solution. He gave me Pimecrolimus 1% and Travocort cream to use for a week, but I noticed as I was getting the relief of symptoms. My head of penis looked so inflamed, and I can send a picture. Still, recently there is more, the opening I believe called meatus when I am erect opens wider than it used to look before. The penis head's backside looks like it is getting split more exactly in the middle and going through dystrophy, which got me worried. Perhaps the medications I am using is making it worse. I forgot to say that inside of the penis, there are lines of swell, not painful, but make urinating more hard. After the first week of unprotected sex, I used something called tea tree cream mixed with some olive oil. It may have made things worse. Now I need your help, is the very tiny wound getting perhaps affected by all of this? Is it a different STD that I did not test for? Is it just balanitis, and I need a good treatment plan.



Welcome to

From your history, there are two main things. One is unprotected sex, and the other is a chemical reaction due to the lubricant. The lubricant should be short term as the skin layer affected by the chemical injury regenerates in one week. The unprotected sex, if cause infection can cause it to be worsened and require proper treatment. From your STD (sexually transmitted disease) screen done HSV (herpes simplex disease), IgG is raised it means you have active viral infection therefore, antiviral treatment should be started. Please avoid applying any oil or cream on the penis. You can start tablet Ganciclovir 400 mg thrice daily for one week. That is the treatment required. I hope you recover after the treatment course. Please avoid sex or masturbation during the treatment and have safe, protected sex in the future.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is hirsuties coronae glandis a contagious one?

.. glandis (pearly penile papule) are normal findings in men. Kindly confirm it with a urologist or venereologist after a proper physical evaluation.  It is not contagious. If you are too concerned about it, then the treatment option is CO2 laser ablati   Read full

Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?

My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist ... Is it compulsory to get a sore on my genitals during every outbreak ... Does HSV-1 have complications like ocul   Read full

I have an odd sensation in the shoulders and head with CMV in lab work. Kindly help.

.. weird sensation can be due to parasitic infection only, and as you mentioned, you have a previous history of insect bites. So most probably it is due to that only. I would suggest you continue with the antiviral therapy you are currently taking.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.