Q. Though I am HIV negative, I have a positive result for herpes simplex. What to do?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I had a hookup with a friend two months back. I performed oral sex with her and she did the same. She was on her period at that time. I tested HIV at the beginning of this year. I did it again after two months of exposure. I did a tri-dot test and it gave me a result of non-reactive. I was anxious and so tested myself again for HIV, hepatitis B, and HCV. I did this after 12 months of exposure. Again, my results came back non-reactive. But I got a positive result for herpes simplex. Does tri-dot test give a reliable result for HIV taken after 12 months?

# Hi,

Yes, tri-dot test is effective in ruling out HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). You have done this test after 12 months of exposure. After three months of exposure, any HIV antibody test can rule out HIV. Do not be worried about HIV if there is no further exposure in the last 12 months.

Kindly tell me about window period. I read online and there was a lot of information about it. I got confused and I started doubting my reliability of the test. Kindly suggest.

# Hi,

During window period, HIV antibody test will not show a positive result even though the patient is HIV positive. The maximum window period for HIV is three months. You have done tests twice and the last one was done after 12 months of exposure. So do not be worried about HIV.

I have a negative result for HIV. But how do I get herpes?

# Hi,

Herpes is a different disease other than HIV. Herpes can be transmitted sexually. But HIV and herpes are not spread necessarily through sexual routes alone. You are HIV-negative and this is conclusive.

|