Q. What is the frequency to do HIV testing while taking PEP?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
Published on Apr 16, 2019

I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck showers on me and each time the result says negative? And if PEP does not work properly and I am tested positive, how long can be my lifespan if I stay on medications?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has completed PEP with complete adherence and then turned positive.

There are recommendations to test at four weeks, three months and then at six months of last exposure. You need not be tested in between and if negative, no further test is required.

I am taking my medicines with adherence. It is the third day to the therapy and fourth day after the exposure to possible HIV. I am feeling some rashes on the body chest and itching. Today morning my tongue was completely white having some white coating. Had to really brush up my tongue to get it cleaned but still, some white patches are visible. Are these side effects of medicines or early signs of HIV? My blood reports as of now are fine and HIV negative. But what matters are the reports after six weeks three months and six months. I have no muscle pain or joint pains but little weakness is there. And nausea after taking the medicines persist for few hours.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Before answering for the rash or itching which you mentioned, it is important for me to know the medicines which you are taking for PEP. If you can send me the picture of the rash, it will be of great help. This could be the early mild side effects of medicines. The white coating could be due to various reasons. Do you have a fever or any other bowel complaints too? Weakness could be the side effect of drugs. Do also let me know your hemoglobin levels. Medicines can cause minimal nausea. It is recommended to take these with light meals and short frequent meals during the day and not to take these empty stomach.

To start with no fever or bowels. I am getting Isentress 400 mg 1-0-1 per day and Truvada 1-0-0 per day. I think I had the medicine on empty stomach and that caused nausea may be. Rashes are minimal at the moment. Still sending you the photo.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

The picture attached is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). However, you are getting the most appropriate treatment and need not worry. Local coconut oil application does help in minimizing rash. Continue with your medicines and get your HIV test as advised. Please do not hesitate to ask or call anytime for any further query.

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can s...  Read Full »

I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave m...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now