Q. Please explain about the CMIA test for HIV testing.

Published on Feb 10, 2019

I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after three years, I have no medical issue. Please give me awareness on procedure reliability.

Hematology Pathology
#

Below are the specific answers for your questions.

CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usually, in most of the patients, CMIA can be effective after six weeks of exposure. So after 175 days of exposure, you need not to worry about HIV.

The index value is cut off value based on which the result is given. The chance of error is very less. After testing for two times the chance of error is almost nil. After three years of exposure there is no medical issue, so the chances of HIV is very less.

Had it checked both antigen and antibodies? Can I go with my life normally?

Hematology Pathology
#

Yes, CMIA detects both antigen as well antibody. You can go ahead in life.

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are not paranoid, but genius. Yes, anything in the blood may change the results, and that is why we advise sterile things. But, test results if positive never shows negative. HIV virus persists till it is in any wet medium. If blood dried, then no HIV virus persist....  Read Full

How far is CMIA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, Please suggest how far is CMIA test for HIV is conclusive at six months. Some say that three months are sufficient enough and a few say that six months is conclusive for 98% cases. Which is the truth? Which is the category who take more than three months for seroconversion?  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzzaif U Mansuri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) also know as HIV-DUO test. It checks for two things, both antigen and antibody. So, this test is highly conclusive after six weeks, and at six months, it is very conclusive. Seroconversion means developing antibody agains...  Read Full

Ask a Pathologist Now