Q. What does it mean if I have a lip sore and my HSV antibody test reported as indeterminate?

Dr. N. Ashok Viswanath

I have had a sore in my inner lips since morning. I took a herpes antibody test, but the result came as indeterminate.

Kindly help.

#

I acknowledge the test report and image attached with this query (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

The blood investigations show indeterminate herpes simplex IgM (immunoglobulin M) antibody. I suggest you repeat the test to confirm the results. Do not worry even if the result is positive, as it is a self-limiting infection that often heals in few days.

Mostly herpes blisters will not appear as a single lesion; instead, it seems as multiple small blisters coalescing together. For now, keep the area clean, do not poke the blisters, and stay hydrated. It will settle down within seven to ten days.

Based on the clinical examination, the decision to start oral antivirals like Acyclovir will be made.

Take care.

|