Q. I had oral sex. I am diagnosed with herpes type 1 & 2. I have flu like symptoms. Do I have HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Meha Malhotra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2018

Hello doctor,

About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that I have herpes type 1 and 2. I am aware that herpes increases the risk of contamination to HIV. But when I received the oral sex, I did not have any visible sore on my penis. Now about 4 to 5 weeks post that intercourse, I started to have flu-like symptoms (fatigue, sore throat, etc.) and several mouth ulcers. Could it be a sign of HIV or is it nothing as I was not exposed to anything and did not have an open sore on my penis when I had oral sex?

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital lesions. And there are two tests, Herpes IgG, which indicates any past infection or subclinical exposure and herpes IgM, which indicates active infection. Please tell me which test was positive in your case.

Coming to your symptoms, they may be suggestive of the acute HIV syndrome. To rule out HIV, please get a western blot test done for HIV 1 and 2 at the earliest. ELISA test, which is generally done for HIV will be negative in the window period (4 to 6 weeks after contracting HIV). Also get an ELISA for HIV done 8 weeks after your exposure. If it is negative, get a repeat test done after 3 and 6 months for understanding.

Please tell me a few details to help you better. Did you have sexual intercourse also? If yes, you need to get a few more tests done to rule out other STD's. Did the person who performed oral sex have any oral or genital lesions?

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is the frequency to do HIV testing while taking PEP?
Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?
What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms of the advanced stage of AIDS?

Query: Hi doctor,Eight months back, my best friend's husband, who is 53 years old, was diagnosed with positive HIV, hepatitis B and lymph node TB. He is taking proper medicine, but gained so much weight. Now, for over a week, he has been having cold and cough during evening. He is a smoker. Is he currently...  Read Full »

Also Read

Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.