Q. I woke up with a painful rash on my forehead last week. What could be the reason?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

A week back, I woke up with a painful rash on my forehead after visiting the ER for swollen lymph nodes on my neck the previous day. I am taking HUMIRA pen injections and never had such rashes before. I have not gotten a lab test yet.

Please help.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

1) I think you have herpes zoster infection due to the reactivation of varicella-zoster virus (chickenpox virus) in the body, which is one of the side effects of HUMIRA pen (Adalimumab).

2) It usually presents as vesicles on one side of the body with pain and burning due to nerve involvement.

3) I suggest you take the antiviral medicine, tablet Valacyclovir 1 gm three times a day, along with tablet Paracetamol 500 mg for the pain. Sometimes, the pain persists after the lesion is healed; early initiation of antiviral therapy may reduce that.

Also, I do not know for what condition you are taking HUMIRA pens. After consulting with your physician, withhold it for five to seven days.

|