Q. I want to test myself for HGH deficiency. Can you tell me how I should proceed?

Dr. Ravikiran M
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 13, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2018

Dear doctor,

I want to test myself for HGH deficiency. Can you tell me a complete guide on how should I proceed? What tests should I do? After I have done them, can I post it here for a thorough examination from your doctors, so that they can tell me whether I am HGH deficient?

I want to test that because I have hypothyroidism and I am taking Levothyroxine and my levels are now normal. They were not normal two years ago and I had severe symptoms of hypothyroidism (severe fatigue, severe muscle cramps, lethargy, brain focus problems, pretty much all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism).

Moreover, I made tests back then and I saw that my somatoprin levels were a lot below the normal.

My reasons for this testing is that I think that this hypothyroidism really has stunted my growth, and pretty much everything in my development. From 16 to 19 years, I have not treated my hypothyroidism and I just lagged behind in development compared to my peers.

Now I just want to see if I can do anything. Maybe if I have HGH deficiency, I still could manage to grow a little with HGH replacement or something.

My age is 21, I also have beta thalassemia minor. I do not have any other medical issues.

#

You need to check IGF1 level (insulin-like growth factor 1), liver function and kidney function tests and hemoglobin level. Also please take an x-ray of your left elbow and left knee joint AP view (anteroposterior view) to assess the bone age, and to check whether ends of the bones still have room enough to allow growth or they have fused.

Kindly mention your height and your parents' height. You may also send your latest thyroid reports.

What exactly should be the liver function and kidney function tests? What others should I include in the blood tests? What factors should I test?

My height is 5'7". My father's height is 5'8". My mother's height is 5'6".

Moreover, are there any other tests that I should take or these are enough for you to assess HGH deficiency?

#

Liver tests include serum albumin, SGOT, SGPT (or ALT, AST), serum bilirubin and serum alkaline phosphatase.

Kidney tests include blood urea and serum creatinine.

IGF1 will give a preliminary idea about growth hormone status.

Other confirmatory tests need to be done to make a final diagnosis. But those tests have to be done by and in the presence of a hormone specialist or a physician.

Revert back to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|