Q. Can loss of balance occur due to high blood pressure?

Dr. Margi Barot
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Since four years, I am having high BP. I am taking Met XL 50 now and my BP is around 112/82. Sometimes, I have episode of headache and sweating. I feel like I am going to fall. When I check BP during that time with digital machine it shows it around only 112. Does this happen because of BP? Some people say digital machine does not show accurate reading. What should I do now?

#

I can understand your concern.

Yes, there are some variations seen in BP (blood pressure) readings while using digital device. So, to eliminate your doubt do one thing. After checking BP at home from your digital device try to verify it with manual machine.

If both reading are same then it concludes that your BP is normal or I would rather say little bit low for your age.

Now coming to your symptoms, weakness and giddiness as you described could be due to orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension). It is fall in BP during upright position.

I want you to measure your BP first in sleeping position. Then stand erect for 10-15 minutes and measure BP again. If there is fall of more than 20 in systolic then it confirmed it.

• When do you feel like you are going to fall? Do you feel dizzy lightheaded or you feel that everything around you is moving?
  • Do you have any earache or ringing in your ear? Any nausea or vomiting?
  • Does it occur in some particular position and aggravate by movement?
  • If answer to my above question is no and there is more than 20 difference in two reading then it is orthostatic hypotension.
  • What is your pulse rate?

My advice for your condition are,

1. Avoid sudden change in position.
  2. When you change your position from sleeping to erect do it very slowly.
  3. As you have mentioned you are taking Met XL (Metoprolol) for high blood pressure, which is a beta blocker known to cause bradycardia. Your problem could be because of this also.

Revert back with answers for the above questions to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|