Q. I am taking Amlodipine for BP. Do I need to change the medication?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 06, 2017

I am 30 years old. My BP is 180/90. After consulting a physician I am taking tablet Amlong 5 mg one full in the morning and half in the night. Post using this tablet my BP is 120/80 and sometimes shoots up to 140/80. I am on this medication for the past two years. I got a complete routine health check up and found nothing wrong in my reports. My main concern is do I need to change the medication? Please suggest.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• BP (blood pressure) of 180/90 in spite of using tablet Amlong (Amlodipine) is not acceptable. Presently, there is no need to change the medicine.
  • Just increase the dose of tablet Amlong to 10mg twice a day. Recheck your BP after 2 weeks.
  • Tablet Amlong use in some people can cause swelling of ankles. In case that happens after increasing the dose, I would suggest you to change to tablet Nebicard (Nebivolol) 5mg twice a day.

You are quite young to have hypertension. In young hypertensives the cause of hypertension has to be evaluated. If you have not identified the cause, then kindly get a renal artery Doppler scan.

Revert back after two weeks with the report to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I have already gone through ultrasound of kidney five months back and my results were normal. Do I need to get this renal test? Is it fine to shift the dosage from 7.5 mg to 20 mg a day? Both my grandparents have it. Can it be hereditary? I would like to know what precautions I need to take having BP. Can it be cured permanently? Will it affect my life span? Can I join gym? Please guide. Thank you.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Your BP is extremely high. Go ahead and start taking tablet Amlong 20mg per day. Your BP will come to control.

Kidney Ultrasound is different. It is just general scanning of kidney.

Renal artery Doppler scan focuses on narrowing of blood vessel in the kidney. It is considered to be one of the causes for hypertension in young people.

Hypertension could be hereditary or acquired. In young people there will be some problem in the body that will be causing the BP to rise. If the underlying cause is identified and corrected, then that will be the permanent cure for BP.

In some people we may not be able to find the cause. Those people have to take medicine lifelong.

Some of the precautions to be taken being hypertensive are:

• Take your medication regularly.
  • Do only aerobic exercises like stretches, running on treadmill and cycling every day for about 15 to 30 minutes.
  • Get your eyes examined every two years.
  • You can join gym, but do only aerobic exercises unless your BP falls to 120-130 mm Hg and gets under control.
  • Avoid lifting heavy weights.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My blood pressure is up to 197/100. My doctor keeps giving me Bystolic. Is that safe?

Query: Hello Doctor, My blood pressure is up to 197/100 mmHg. My doctor keeps giving me tablet Bystolic and asked to take it for 10 days. Is that safe? I am a 53 year old male, usually great health.  Read Full »

How can behavior with dogs be changed?

Query: Hi doctor, I have three kids and three dogs. Our dogs steal shoes from porch and wander outside fence. We all treat it as normal behavior and try to teach them peacefully. But they of course do not listen. And my husband hits them with shoes regularly trying to teach them not to steal shoes. It hap...  Read Full »

Is gym workout good for health and stress?

Query: Hello doctor, Is gym workout good for health and stress? Please suggest me as I want to join the gym.  Read Full »