Q. What can be done to manage anger with dogs?

Dr. Lisa Barros Mascarenhas
Published on Feb 18, 2019

I have three kids and three dogs. Our dogs steal shoes from porch and wander outside fence. We all treat it as normal behavior and try to teach them peacefully. But they of course do not listen. And my husband hits them with shoes regularly trying to teach them not to steal shoes. It happens in the evening usually and dogs are crying loudly and my kids witness all this and we all suffer very much from this for our dogs. I tried to talk to my husband many times but he does not listen and I feel very bad because I cannot stop it and my kids suffering from watching this and I cannot stand it anymore. How can I protect my kids from this and my dogs and how can I tell my husband to teach dogs differently and peacefully?

#

Regarding the root cause of the dog stealing shoes, it is advisable mostly that dogs have pent up energy, so making sure they get a good aerobic exercise especially day time helps them to sober down along with 5 to 10 minutes of attention with giving a chewy toy or objects which it can catch when thrown and play.

Also, if possible try keeping the shoes in a closed shoe rack if still does not help. Regarding telling your husband, do try telling that every time you hit the dog, he may take it like it is getting that form of attention and game of snatching and beating. Instead try the above and when snatched ignore but if too valuable trade for something else like a chewy toy or food. I hope the above points help you out.