Q. My MIL's BP is 160/110 mmHg and she feels tired during evenings. Please help.

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2020

My mother in law has high blood pressure of 160/110 mmHg. She is normal during day time but dull in the evening. A local doctor prescribed her medicines but she did not get any relief. What should I do?

#

She is obese. Try weight reduction and salt restrictions. What medicine she has been taking please mention the name and dose of medicine? Based on that I can advise you.

Please undergo the following investigations:

1.BUN (blood urea nitrogen).

2. Lipid profile.

3. FBS (fasting blood sugar).

4. Urine for a routine exam.

5. ECG (electrocardiography).

Please inform with the reports.

| 

I have attached the file. One problem is that she comes in indirect contact to a COVID positive patient on 14/07/2020 so she and her husband is also in quarantine. I have attached a prescription that she takes. She went for a blood report and did not got the report as the doctor is also in quarantine. What should I do now?

#

Do not worry. First, you calm down then only you can take care of the family. It is nice to see that you are very much concerned about your family. Take Telma CT (Telmisartan and Chlorthalidone) 40 one tablet in the morning around 7 AM and Amlokind AT (Amlodipine and Atenolol) what she has been taking around 7 PM daily. Monitor her BP regularly under the supervision of your local doctor.

I think her BP will be stabilized. Review after seven days. Meanwhile, get the COVID-19 test done. It is a must as there is an exposure history with COVID-19 patient. Do not panic.

|