Q. Does AIDS cause lymphocytosis or lymphocytopenia?

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

According to my CBC report, my lymphocyte count is above the normal count. Does this range come under lymphocytosis? Also, I read that lymphocytosis is one of the causes of AIDS. I am confused; I thought AIDS destroys lymphocytes and causes lymphocytopenia. Please help me.

#

I understand your concern.

Please let us know the clinical circumstances for which CBC (complete blood count) test is taken. You have both neutropenia and lymphocytosis, observed in multiple diseases infective pathology. Was this test prescribed by a physician or a doctor due to some presenting complaints?

.

Thank you, doctor,

No, it is not suggested by any doctor, just a routine check-up is done after ten months. My lymphocyte count was around 2.1 trillion cells/L six months before, and my lymphocyte percentage was 40.70 %. Seeing my present numbers, I want to know whether it is a cause of concern?

#

I understand your concern.

If these values are associated with clinical signs and symptoms of either systemic infection or malignancy, then it might be a cause for further investigations.

However, it does not appear so as per your submitted narrative.

Please let me know if you want to investigate further and whether you have any clinical manifestations such as fever, weight loss, loss of appetite, smell, signs of respiratory, urinary infection, gastrointestinal infection, etc. If not, please retest after 15 days and/or if you develop any clinical anomalies, then revert.

|