Q. Whom should I consult for my daughter's high prolactin?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter's prolactin is 238. What is the cause behind this? Whom should I consult for this? What is the further treatment? There is no headache or stress. She had some periods problem before and now she is fine with that. Please help.

#

I need a little more information to help you better.

• Does she have any milky discharge from her breasts? Are her periods regular?
  • Is she suffering from double vision? What medication she is having now?
  • She will need a full evaluation from an endocrinologist to determine the cause and treatment.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an endocrinologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

There is no milky discharge from her breasts. Her periods become irregular sometimes. The TSH level was 2.33. She was prescribed Cabergoline. She gets nausea and headache with the tablet and so not taking the medicine regularly. I am so much worried about the high level of prolactin. Please help.

#

• She needs an MRI of her pituitary gland first for high prolactin. Has she had an MRI?
  • Were other hormones checked? Only TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is not enough.
  • This requires a full evaluation with an endocrinologist as mentioned. Has she seen anyone?
  • Once work up is done thoroughly it can be managed by pills. The treatment is usually pills.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|