Q. What are the common reasons for nipple discharge?

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

Hi doctor,

I had a cyst in my breast and it was removed before two years. For the last two months, some liquid is coming from the nipple while taking shower. What to do?

#

• It could be related to your breast cyst. Milk duct blockage and infection can also be a cause in your age group.
  • What is the color of the nipple discharge? If it is reddish or dark or greenish, then it is because of altered blood. It could be from a very tiny bleeding tumor (usually benign papilloma) inside the milk ducts of the breast.
  • If it is a clear discharge, then it can be because of hormonal imbalance as well. Hormonal problems usually cause issues with both breasts at the same time.
  • However, color alone cannot rule out cancer or lead to a definite diagnosis.
  • Most nipple discharges are not because of cancer. But, cancer can be a possibility, and it should be excluded. It is like ruling out a heart attack for every chest pain, even if minor.
  • Nipple discharge is not normal in non-lactating women. It is more concerning if it is associated with a lump in the breast, erosion of nipple or comes out by itself without the need of any pressure.
  • So first, we need to rule out breast cancer by doing a mammogram with or without ultrasound. Your doctor can smear the nipple discharge onto slides and look for nefarious-looking cells.
  • So, seek an appointment and when you go, make sure you have not already expressed the discharge out. Express it out for your doctor to see and make slides.
  • A few blood tests can be required in case if a hormonal problem is suspected.
  • One thing that can help you decrease the risk of cancer and also many other deadly diseases is weight reduction.

Revert with the reports to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|