Q. What causes an elevation in RBC count?

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Sep 05, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am male, 31 years old, had a CBC test, and results showed elevated RBCs as below. But I have no other symptoms, actually taken test to investigate alopecia problem.

ESR 15, WBC 5.54*10 ^3 cells/microlitre, neutrophils 2.34, lymphocytes 2.24, monocytes 0.697, eosinophils 0.184, basophils 0.8, RBC 7.17* 10 ^6 cells/microlitre, HGB 13.3, HCT 42.6, MCV 59.4, MCH 18.5, MCHC 31.1, RDW 13.6, PLT 269*10 ^3 cells/microlitre, MPV 8.96 fl.

After four months of alopecia problem resolved and had further tests to investigate the elevated RBCs. Took CBC, liver, and kidney function tests. WBC 5.12, neutrophils 2.58, lymphocytes 1.73, monocytes 0.39, eosinophils 4.3, basophils 1, RBC 6.61, HGB 12.4, HCT 39.2, MCV 59.4, MCH 18.7, MCHC 31.5, RDW 16.2, PLT 197, MPV 9.1, glucose 93.2 mg/dl, BUN 10.7 mg/dl, cretainine 1.03 mg/dl, NA 1.41 mmol/L, K 3.90 mmol/L, CL 104.4 mmol/L, AST 29.8 U/L, ALT 43 U/L, T-BILL 0.855 mg/dl, D-BILL 0.359 mg/dl, TP 7.78 g/dl, cholesterol 121.1 mg/dl, TGL 190.4 mg/dl, LDL 80.6 mg/dl, HDL 24.8 mg/dl, iron 123.48 ug/dl, CA 9.09 mg/dl, UA 6.1 mg/dl.

Could you please advise and provide consultation? Please provide any diet recommendations. Is there any harm to have elevated RBCs with no symptoms? My WBC is on the lower side and RBC is on the higher side. Is it normal?

Dr. Parth R Goswami

Hematology Pathology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The borderline hemoglobin level, low MCV, and high red blood cells count are suggestive of some hemoglobinopathy. You need to investigate further with HB electrophoresis by HPLC method to rule out any hemoglobinopathy if present. You need to drink lots of water to prevent dehydration which is also a causative factor for high red blood cells count.

You can take green leafy vegetables and fruits more. Do not take fatty foods in excess amount because your triglyceride level is high. No need for any medication just now. You can revert back with HPLC report once done.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please give me a detailed analysis of the test reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. My weight is 72 kg and height is 5'5". About a month back, my BP was 120/80 mmHg. I do not have any major complaints except for occasional gas or acidity or indigestion. Sometimes there is a sharp pain in the lower portion of legs, especially in the ankle and heels. ...  Read Full »

Is polycythemia vera related to cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a female, 50 years old and want to know whether polycythemia vera is related to cancer or not. I have taken JAK2 mutation test which is negative. What is this test for? I have erythromelalgia blood disorder. Is all this connected to cancer? I want to understand this test and doubts...  Read Full »

I have high cholesterol, high triglycerides and high blood pressure. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have high cholesterol, high triglycerides and also high blood pressure. Please help.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.