Q. Is it possible to get high RBC in blood test due to fasting?

Published on Feb 12, 2019

I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood test was high because I had fasting and it was in the morning. My doctor told me it might be polycythemia and to go back for another test in three months.

Hematology Pathology
#

The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots of water. If still, it comes high after a few days, then further workup for polycythemia should be done in form of EPO estimation, chest X-ray, EKG and JAK2 mutation testing as per need.

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »

What is the meaning behind my blood values?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the meaning behind having these blood values? MCV 72.9- MCH 25.0- RBC 5.79+ All other values are normal except for globulin 2.15. Can it be an anemia while having normal hemoglobin and normal RBC count (even higher than normal?  Read Full »

Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep? My 25-year-old daughter is delirious. She does not know who she is, thinks she was in a coma, etc. Hospital ran blood and urine test and a cat scan, all were normal. No new medications. I thought it has to be something physical beca...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now