Q. Why do I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine?

Dr. Girish C Kamat
Published on Nov 08, 2018

My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Hematology Internal Medicine
#

Your partner has urinary tract infection. She needs to do a urine culture and sensitivity. Meanwhile, get examined by a gynecologist to know the local source of infection. If she is symptomatic, with fever or burning micturition, then she needs to take a course of antibiotics.

I am worried about her high RBC count. Please suggest.

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Hematology Internal Medicine
#

RBC count up to 5.4 million mcL is normal for women. The present value is just above the normal range. A hemoglobin level is more important than an RBC count. If the hemoglobin is more than 16.5 g/dL, your partner will require further evaluation. Present values are not of much concern. You can do serum erythropoietin level, hemoglobin HPLC electrophoresis test, and JAK2 V617F mutation testing.

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Antibiotics for urinary tract infection treatment

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from urinary tract infection. I get these once in every couple of years. I need to get an antibiotic to get rid of it. Please help.  Read Full »