Q. Why do I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine?

Dr. Girish C Kamat

My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.

#

Your partner has urinary tract infection. She needs to do a urine culture and sensitivity. Meanwhile, get examined by a gynecologist to know the local source of infection. If she is symptomatic, with fever or burning micturition, then she needs to take a course of antibiotics.

I am worried about her high RBC count. Please suggest.

#

RBC count up to 5.4 million mcL is normal for women. The present value is just above the normal range. A hemoglobin level is more important than an RBC count. If the hemoglobin is more than 16.5 g/dL, your partner will require further evaluation. Present values are not of much concern. You can do serum erythropoietin level, hemoglobin HPLC electrophoresis test, and JAK2 V617F mutation testing.

|