Q. I have high triglyceride and low HDL. What medication do I need to start?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 34 years old and weigh about 96 kg.

My latest lipid profile shows

Triglycerides - 398 mg/dl.

HDL - 27 mg/dl.

LDL - 96 mg/dl.

Total - 175 mg/dl.

Please advise what to do? Any immediate medication I need to start? Which doctor to consult? Any other tests to be done?



Welcome to

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have increased triglyceride levels and low HDL (high dentisity lipoprotein) levels. Your HDL has been varying from 24 to 38 for the last three years and your current medication is Colred powder which is a nutritional supplement used for dyslipidemia.

For your high TG (triglycerides) level you can start Fenofibrate (trade names Finate, Fenofibrate 200 mg) at night. You can also take Omega-3 fatty acid (trade name Beneficial, Bree C, Carmax) for increasing your HDL.

You should avoid oily and fatty foods. Continue your current medication with Fenofibrate and Omega-3 fatty acid. After three months, repeat your fasting lipid profile.

Thank you doctor,

I used to take that medication six months ago. I am not currently taking it. A few more clarifications, please.

Can I continue taking Colred along with the medications you suggested? You have sent multiple medications and anyone can be taken? Do you see any risk currently, for which I need to visit a doctor personally?



Welcome back to

According to your query, you can take Colored along with other medications. I have sent you the same group of medications with two or three trade names for your benefit.

For your high TG level, you can take capsule Finate 200 mg at night. In the same way for your low HDL level, you can take Bree C once daily.

Your TG level is high according to your age. For that reason, you can visit a doctor. But I think your visiting doctor will also prescribe these types of medications that I have already suggested to you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Kindly help me reduce the higher values shown in my blood report.

.. test indicates that you have high cholesterol and high triglyceride in blood. This means that you have either higher fat content in the diet or metabolism of fat is not proper. Liver test indicates slightly higher SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic ...   Read full

Is my left-sided chest pain due to acidity or heart block?

.. all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). An angiogram is not required. Serum uric acid, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides are high. Vitamin D3 is borderline. Please take Fibator LS (Fenofibrate and Atorvastatin) once a...   Read full

How to reduce TG/HDL ratio?

My lipid profile reads total cholesterol 145 mg/dL, HDL 275 mg/dL, LDL 933 mg/dL, triglyceride 195 mg/dL and VLDL 39 mg/dL ... You do not need cholesterol medicine ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.