Q. I have high triglyceride and low HDL. What medication do I need to start?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

I am 34 years old and weigh about 96 kg.

My latest lipid profile shows

Triglycerides - 398 mg/dl.

HDL - 27 mg/dl.

LDL - 96 mg/dl.

Total - 175 mg/dl.

Please advise what to do? Any immediate medication I need to start? Which doctor to consult? Any other tests to be done?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have increased triglyceride levels and low HDL (high dentisity lipoprotein) levels. Your HDL has been varying from 24 to 38 for the last three years and your current medication is Colred powder which is a nutritional supplement used for dyslipidemia.

For your high TG (triglycerides) level you can start Fenofibrate (trade names Finate, Fenofibrate 200 mg) at night. You can also take Omega-3 fatty acid (trade name Beneficial, Bree C, Carmax) for increasing your HDL.

You should avoid oily and fatty foods. Continue your current medication with Fenofibrate and Omega-3 fatty acid. After three months, repeat your fasting lipid profile.

| 

I used to take that medication six months ago. I am not currently taking it. A few more clarifications, please.

Can I continue taking Colred along with the medications you suggested? You have sent multiple medications and anyone can be taken? Do you see any risk currently, for which I need to visit a doctor personally?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

According to your query, you can take Colored along with other medications. I have sent you the same group of medications with two or three trade names for your benefit.

For your high TG level, you can take capsule Finate 200 mg at night. In the same way for your low HDL level, you can take Bree C once daily.

Your TG level is high according to your age. For that reason, you can visit a doctor. But I think your visiting doctor will also prescribe these types of medications that I have already suggested to you.

| 

Kindly help me reduce the higher values shown in my blood report.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from stomach bloating and gastric problem. I had a blood test and the report is as below. Total cholesterol 208 mg/dL, triglyceride 253 mg/dL, HDL 38 mg/dL, LDL 119 mg/dL, SGOT (AST) 63 U/L, SGPT (ALT) ...  Read Full »

How can I manage high cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35-year-old male. My weight is 77 kg and height is 5 feet 6 inches. What is a skipping pulse? Is it blockage in the heart or not? My test reports is as follows, Cholesterol : 247, Triglycerides : 283, Hdl : 43, Ldl : 149, VLDL : 57, Non-Hdl cholesterol : 204, Lipoprotein a : 94, ...  Read Full »

I am losing my learning capabilities and having memory problem. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing memory problem. Day by day I am feeling like I am getting down like forgetting most of the previous things specially related to my academic life. I am losing my learning capabilities. I am finding hard to memorize things now.  Read Full »