Q. I have increased triglycerides and was prescribed Rosuvas 20 mg for 30 days. Should I continue it?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I had a lipid profile test last month, and it showed the following values:

1) Cholesterol -191.

2) Triglycerides - 533.

3) HDL cholesterol - 29.

4) LDL cholesterol - 55.

5) VLDL cholesterol - 106.

6) Non-HDL cholesterol - 162.

I never did a lipid profile test earlier. The thyroid and blood sugar tests are normal. I am having hormonal imbalance and PCOD problems since last year. I am currently taking Normoz-DS suggested by a gynecology doctor. I have taken Rosuvas 20 mg one tablet at night for the last 25 days for triglycerides. The doctor suggested the above medicine for 30 days.

These are some queries that I need your help with:

1) What should be the next treatment after 30 days?

2) Which medicine will you suggest in this case? Please mention this in detail.

3) When should I do the next lipid profile test?

4) How serious is my triglyceride level since I am having PCOD as well?

5) Which foods can reduce triglyceride levels?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

You have to modify your lifestyle, or else it will go back to its previous state after the medication is stopped. So important thing is you do lifestyle modifications like:

1) Reducing intake of oily fried food.

2) Increasing intake of salads and green vegetables.

3) Avoid egg yellow and meat (if non-vegetarian).

4) Having a light dinner.

5) Have toned milk.

6) Avoid ghee.

7) Avoid additional oil in the food.

8) Having regular exercises like brisk walking for atleast 30 min a day.

9) Also, you should achieve some more weight loss.

Now you should recheck your cholesterol level after 30 days of medications. If it is normal, then a dose of Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) should be reduced to 10 mg for another one month. You will again need to retest after one month of dose reduction to confirm that it is not rising again. If testing shows good control and you are able to achieve a good healthy lifestyle, then we can try stopping it later as well.

So, it would help if you focused on good lifestyle modifications, calorie restriction and should undergo a repeat lipid profile to see the response. Subsequently, the dose of Rosuvas probably is reduced.

I hope this helps you. Please get back if you have any doubts or more information to share.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. It has been a month of taking Rosuvas 20 mg. I have done my lipid profile test yesterday and it showed the following values. I have a cholesterol range of 105 mg/dL, triglycerides of 233 mg/dL, HDL cholesterol of 30 mg/dL, LDL cholesterol of 28 mg/dL, VLDL cholesterol of 46 mg/dL, and non-HDL cholesterol of 75 mg/dL. I have attached the report for your reference. These are some queries that I have to know about it. How is my triglyceride level in the latest report? Which medicine will you suggest after this report? When should I do my next lipid profile test? Looking forward to your reply.

#

Your triglycerides have come down to 233 mg/dL from the previous 533 mg/dL, but LDL has gone down too low (not a major issue). However, now you should change medication from Rosuvas 20 to Fenofibrate 145 mg once daily at bedtime after dinner. This medicine is specifically given for triglycerides. Take this for six weeks and repeat the lipid profile after six weeks to see whether it is under control or not. As I mentioned earlier, dietary modifications and regular activities are must be followed. All the best.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken Fenolip 145 once daily for the last six weeks. I did a lipid profile test yesterday and it showed the following values. I have a cholesterol range of 167 mg/dL, triglycerides of 286 mg/dL, HDL cholesterol of 38 mg/dL, LDL cholesterol of 71 mg/dL, VLDL cholesterol of 57 mg/dL, and non-HDL cholesterol of 129 mg/dL. These are some queries that I have to know it. How Is my triglyceride level in the latest report? Which medicine will you suggest after this report? When should I do my next lipid profile test? Looking forward to your reply.

#

Triglycerides are still mildly elevated. Fenofibrate alone is unlikely to control it completely. So you should take tablet Rosuvas F 10/145 mg at bedtime. You should repeat the lipid profile after eight weeks. The likely cause for raised triglycerides is genetic. I guess that you must have made lifestyle changes as well like avoiding an oily fatty diet and having regular exercise. With genetic cause, one has to be on long-term medications. Once the medications are stopped, triglycerides will start rising. So continue taking medications as mentioned above and make some significant lifestyle changes so as to reduce dependence on medications. All the best.

Thanks for the reply. These are some queries that I have in this regard. Whether the medicine name is Rosuvas F10 or Rosuvas F10/145? I find Rosuvas F10 having rosuvastatin 10 mg and fenofibrate 160 mg. I do not think that it is the same medicine that you have prescribed. Please suggest some other brand that is having rosuvastatin 10 mg and fenofibrate 145 mg. How long should I continue Rosuvas F10 medicine? What is the safe range of triglycerides for women?

#

You can have Lupirose F10 (10/145) if you could not get this one. Then Rosuvas F10 (10/160) is also fine to have. You can continue taking it for 6 to 8 weeks and repeat the lipid profile after that. Meanwhile changing diet and lifestyle to a healthy one is important. We would want triglycerides to be less than 200 mg/dL for a good outcome, although triglycerides are not as important as LDL cholesterol. All the best.

Thanks again for the reply. I was taking Lipirose F10 for the last two months every night. I did a lipid profile test yesterday and it showed the values such as cholesterol of 212 mg/dL and triglycerides of 1104 mg/dL. The report is attached here for your reference. I am taking Diane-35 tablets for the last two months. I have been suggested this medicine due to gynecology problems called PCOD and fibroids. I find this medicine can cause high triglyceride levels. These are some queries that I have.

1) Can Diane-35 cause such a high triglyceride level?

2) Should I continue Diane-35 in this case?

3) What else can be the reason behind my increased triglyceride level?

4) Which medicine will you suggest after this report?

5) When should I do the next lipid profile test?

6) Will you suggest any other test for now?

7) Should I need lipid profile electrophoresis as mentioned in the report?

Looking forward to your reply.

#

Yes, it can be related to Diane 35 (Cyproterone and Ethinyl estradiol). You should discuss with the treating gynecologist to discontinue this medicine. It is severe hypertriglyceridemia and it can increase the risk of pancreatitis. With these, it is better to visit a nearby cardiologist or MD medicine doctor as well for this issue, as the level is severely elevated and emergency purposes. You should continue the same medications Lipirose F10 (Fenofibrate and Rosuvastatin) till the level reaches below 1000 and subsequently, medicines need to be modified.

However, besides discontinuing Diane 35, the most important thing is the dietary restriction of fats, both good and bad. Restrict fat intake (oils and fried products) to as low as possible. Also, reduce sugar intake. Repeat lipid profile after three days of vigorous dietary modifications, and lipid profile should be done in fasting state. Subsequent modification in medications should be done after it has gone below 1000 as medications do not work above this level. So in a nutshell, dietary restrictions of fats (extreme), stopping Diane 35, and repeating lipid profile after three days are appropriate steps. Medicines can be modified after the lipid profile goes below 1000. All the best.

|