Q. My WBC count is above 10,000. Do I have blood cancer?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

I am a 26 year old female. Last year, my physician told me that I have an iron deficiency, and put me on supplements. My WBC count is 10,300 now. I have no infection, and I am not on any other medication. I am worried due to the high WBC count. I am attaching my CBC test report. Please help me in understanding my blood counts. Is there any reason for panic?

#

I have seen your CBC (complete blood count) report attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The normal adult range for WBC (white blood cells) count is 4000 to 11000 cells/mcL. Your count 10,300 cells/mcL is within the range.
  • Let me know if you are having any clinical complaint like fever, sore throat, abdominal pain, etc.
  • Your CBC and total WBC count reports are normal.

Take care.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I do not have any fever or sore throat. I have glaucoma and I am on daily eye drops. All my friends have a WBC count of around 6000. Why is mine higher even though there is no infection? I hope this is not an early symptom of cancer. I am really scared.  What are the blood findings in early stages of cancer?

#

• If the WBC count is more than 11000 cells/mcL, then an infection or an inflammation can be suspected. Your WBC count is within the range. So, do not panic.
  • Check your serum ferritin levels, which reflects the iron store. If it is normal, then there is no need of further intake of iron tablets.
  • And do not think of cancer just now. In leukemia, that is blood cancer, the WBC count is very high, and at least above 50,000 cells/mcL. So, the findings are not suggestive of cancer.
  • Consult an ophthalmologist for getting your glaucoma treated with topical beta blocker eye drops.
  • Take care. Hope I have solved your query.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

I feel relieved to know that. Does iron deficiency cause a rise in the WBC count? I have a hair fall problem. Why could that be?

#

It is good that you are aware of your health. Hereby, I am giving you further opinion.

• In iron deficiency anemia, usually, the WBC count is not elevated. If bleeding occurs, then leukocytosis can occur. But, since your WBC count is not above 11000 cells/mcL, no further investigations are required.
  • Check your serum ferritin level, to decide if you have to continue your iron tablets.
  • For hair fall problem, check your thyroid status. For stopping further hair fall, topical 5 % Minoxidil Spray can be prescribed. Apply 3 to 4 drops on the scalp, twice a day. Permanent treatment for lost hair is hair transplantation. I suggest you visit a dermatologist for the treatment of your hair fall problem.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What kind of foods do I need to eat to avoid blood-related disorders, and to make my CBC quite normal? Does stress play any role in an elevated WBC count? If I follow healthy habits and avoid stress, will my next CBC count show less than what it is today? How much time will it take to achieve this? When can the next CBC test be done? Please let me know.

#

• As far as food habit is concerned, you can take more of green leafy vegetables, and fruits. No other exact precautions are needed.
  • Sometimes, excessive exercises can lead to leukocytosis. But, stress is not directly related to it.
  • Kindly repeat your CBC after ten days. You can investigate with peripheral smear examination for further work up.
  • No need to worry about your WBC count.

|