Q. WBC is high with bleeding gums. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

I am worried that my wife might have leukemia. My wife had thyroid cancer treated six years back by total thyroidectomy and she is taking the Levothyroxine pill since then. Everything was looking fine till we had our first baby last year. During pregnancy, she had gestational diabetes. After baby delivery, she got the pilonidal cyst which was only diagnosed 15 months late.

Her CBC test is what worries me. She did two CBC tests; first one six months back and the second one last month. Everything is normal except the following is high:

Last month test: Lymph# (Sysmex): 4.14 10*3 /uL; Plt (Sysmex) : 372.00 10*3/ uL, WBC ( Sysmex) : 14.46 10*3/ uL

Six months back: Lymph# (Sysmex): 3.46 10*3/ uL; Plt (Sysmex): 388 10*3/ uL; WBC (Sysmex): 12.22 10*3/ uL.

Other tests last month: The Ferritin is 50 ng/mL and Total Iron Binding Capacity is: % Saturation 13 % (calc) low. Iron binding capacity: 341 mcg/dl (calc). Iron total 45 mcg/dl Also, she feels the following: Bleeding gums from toothbrushing, weakness and bone pain. Occasionally swollen groin lymph nodes. I do not know if these symptoms are because of an infection (pilonidal cyst which is healing now but not treated) or these are signs of leukemia. I am asking for your help and opinion.

#

Sorry to hear about your wife's ill health. Following is my opinion for your asked question. In your latest reort, total WBC count is slight high and lymphocytes count are high. But they are not elevated to a level to raise suspicion for leukemia. So it cannot be said as leukemia by this mild elevated count. It could be due to infection as well.

Bleeding gum might be due to periodontitis like gum inflammation condition. The mentioned symptoms are not specific for leukemia. I suggest you repeat her CBC with Peripheral smear examination once infection is subsided after few days. When you repeat your CBC with PS examination revert back to me with that report. If count still high after few days than will investigate further for leukemia.

|