Q. How to treat Hill-Sachs lesion?

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Jan 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I hit my shoulder a while back. Since then, my shoulder slightly turns to the side like a dislocation or something whenever I do anything strenuous like work out or swimming or hanging on to something. I can just tilt my hand and it would come back to the original position, so it is not a complete dislocation. I consulted a doctor and he took an MRI scan and it read Hill-Sachs lesion. He asked me to maintain the shoulder in rest for six months and do nothing which is hard for me to accept as I lead a very active life. How would I know whether it is healing or it has healed in the future as he did not make any future appointment?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• Hill-Sachs lesion (humeral bone head fracture) on the MRI suggests that you had a shoulder injury and it needs treatment either non-surgically or surgically. It can only get decided after seeing the MRI images as I need to see the amount of bone and soft tissue injury involved.
  • You should at least wait for three months before doing a new MRI scan to see for healing.
  • As after that, you will be required to start with strengthening exercises around the shoulder to maintain the stability if decided to treat it non-surgically.
  • I suggest the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.
  1. Painkiller medication as and when required for pain.
  2. Tablet Shelcal CT (Calcium) one in the morning and evening for three months before food.
  3. Tablet Vitamin D3 60k units once a week for eight weeks.
  • For now, you need to use an arm pouch the entire day for at least three months and wear it even while sleeping. Avoid movements of the shoulder out of the arm pouch.

Shoulder subluxation with Hill-Sachs lesion.

Always wear the arm pouch and avoid movements of the shoulder outside the arm pouch.

Revert back with the MRI report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I would like to get your remark on my MRI. Please comment.

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my MRI scan report and I do like to get the remarks.  Read Full »

Even after consuming fewer calories and exercising, I am not losing weight. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female, who weighs 155 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. I cut off the muscle weight because I have a lot of muscle, including the muscle, my weight is 160 lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for the past two months, but nothing has seemed to work. I go to the gym almost every day, ...  Read Full »

Why did my shoulder get dislocated for the second time? How do I treat it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old. I met with an accident some nine years ago which resulted in a chip fracture of the left shoulder acromion. After nine months, I had a shoulder dislocation in the same shoulder which was corrected by a bone setter at home. Recently, the same shoulder again got dis...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now