Q. When should I do rehabilitation exercise after hip bursectomy?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 22, 2021

I am a 32 year old woman. I am overweight, but definitely on a diet. I had my right bursa removed before three months and then the left bursa was removed last month. The physiotherapist came around the first time and said that there was no need for physiotherapy. I took it upon myself to get hip bursectomy rehabilitation exercises from the internet. How long should I do these exercises? I find my lower back hurts terribly only on the left. Why?

#

• Normally, bursa is a structure that help in easy frictionless movement. Hence, after their removal, all exercises have to be aimed at restoration of posture and balance, stretching of the hip abductor muscles and subsequent strengthening of the hip musculature along with ROM exercises (range of motion).
  • Initially, the focus should be on weight bearing as per pain tolerance and you can use crutches for that. Active exercises are done once there is no pain and muscle stretchability is good.
  • As per your issues with pain in the lower back region, that may not be related to your hip bursa surgeries.
  • As for now, the suggestion will be to start with intensive physical therapy for lower back, continue with gentle anti-inflammatory medications, adequate calcium and vitamin D to keep bone metabolism healthy.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|