Q. I am getting radiating right hip pain. Is this due to psoriatic arthritis?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2021

I am 26 years old. Since a week, I am getting pain in the right leg hip and sometimes, extending till right knee and calf muscle. I feel that something is trying to project on the left side.

#

• I can understand from your query that you are experiencing some hip pain with radiation till knee region. Where exactly are you feeling some projecting swelling?
  • Also, since this is only a week old story, there is no need to worry especially if there is no history of injury or any symptoms like fever, swelling around hip, etc.
  • Can you tell me whether there is any history of numbness in the affected leg, tingling or altered sensation called as paresthesia?
  • Do you feel stiff when you wake up in the morning? Do you have any associated back pain?
  • Lastly, have you done any investigations? If so, kindly send me the reports and films. Is it possible for you to send a clinical picture showing that swelling or projection which you are feeling?
  • Once I have more clinical information and x-rays and blood tests, then I can look and let you know what is required.
  • Also, I suggest you mild anti-inflammatory medication for pain relief till further tests are done.

Revert with the details to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I get pain in the back, close to the pelvis and I do not know whether it is muscle pain or hip bone pain. While walking, I get that pain extending to the lower right buttock and right knee. The feel is like the bone connecting hip and knee is hitting left side of the right knee and backwards to hip region. Now after sitting long, I feel a little pain in the right leg joint also. I have visited an orthopedician and he said that it is LBP or SI sprain and pelvis region nerve is the cause of it. He suggested Aceflam-P for seven days twice daily after food, Pantosec 40 mg tablet for five days once in the morning before food and an Allaynac cream. He also said that I need physiotherapy and does not need an x-ray. I do not see any betterment and still feel slight difficulty in sleeping. I am not sure about the proper posture. I have psoriasis (scalp and little body). Is this a case of psoriatic arthritis? Is this anything serious?

#

I am have gone through your question in detail.

• I will advise you the following things.
  1. X-ray pelvis with both hips anteroposterior view (AP).
  2. X-ray lumbosacral spine AP and lateral (flexion and extension) views.
  3. CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP levels (C-reactive protein) along with vitamin D and B12 levels.
  • I would like to have a clinical picture where you feel that there is a deviation in your limb region.
  • Kindly send me your doctor's prescription, so that I can see your examination findings and advise you accordingly.
  • As far as your question on physical therapy exercises, I can advise them only when there is some consensus on diagnosis, which can be made only once I see examination findings and relevant investigation results.
  • Lastly, this is not normally a presentation of psoriatic arthritis. In your case, it appears that the pathology is either in your hip or lower back region.
  • Anyways, once we have more clinical details and investigations with us, I think we can proceed further in this case. Until that time you can continue with medications prescribed by you.

Degeneration or inflammatory cause.

Revert with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|