Q. My mom has pain starting from the left side of the hip to the leg. Please help.

Dr. Kapil Kumar Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 29, 2021

This query is about the pain in my mother's veins, which started from her left side of her hip and spread to her whole leg. This pain is unbearable. She is 46-years-old. Her height and weight are 5'4" and 83 kg. She has a problem with her knees too due to overweight.

Kindly advise me of the best solution to resolve the problem.

#

Can you describe the pain a little more and share some pictures of the affected leg if possible.

• Does the pain occur on moving the leg?
  • Is the pain like a current-like sensation from the hip to the leg?
  • Is there any change of color in the affected leg?
  • Is there any swelling of the leg?
  • Does the pain worsen on walking?

Usually, the various causes of unilateral leg pain include:

• Sciatica- a nerve problem involving the spine and leg nerves.
  • Deep venous thrombosis- a blood clot in the leg veins.
  • Peripheral arterial disease- due to blockage in the leg arteries.
  • Cellulitis- infection of the skin and tissue of the leg.
  • Varicose veins- problem in the valves of the leg veins.

Usually, the following investigations are required to diagnose:

• If it is A nerve problem or sciatica- an X-ray of the lower spine and if required MRI of the lumbosacral spine.
  • Deep vein thrombosis: ultrasound doppler examination of the lower limb veins.
  • Peripheral arterial disease: ultrasound doppler examination of lower limb arteries.
  • Cellulitis: also requires an ultrasound examination.

Kindly answer the above questions so that I can tell you the further course of management.

Meanwhile, if the pain is unbearable, you can try local analgesic sprays like Voveran spray and tablet Aceclofenac SOS whenever the pain is present.

|