Q. What causes hip pain when sitting?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am a 20-year-old female. When I sit or lay with my hips open, sometimes I get a sharp pain in my left hip. It lasts for 5 to 6 seconds and then goes away. It feels like my hips are going to pop out. I have had this issue for two years, or maybe longer. It happens at least once or twice a week, depending on what I am doing. I have no other issues, and I am not under any medication. I want to know what it is and how I can stop it.

#

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern. I will surely help you out.

The pain you describe is due to sciatica. It is caused by compression of the nerve root between the vertebra while exiting the spinal cord. It can be corrected easily with a few medications like Gabapentin, Neurobion Forte (multivitamin), and Etoricoxib (pain killer).

However, to confirm the diagnosis, you will need an x-ray of the lumbar spine. Thirdly, physiotherapy will help you a lot. It will help by preventing compression of the nerves between the spinal cord.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|