Q. How can hip pain be managed in a diabetic and hypertensive patient?

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2020

My mother is having lower hip side pain for almost a week now. She is taking maintenance medicines for high blood pressure (Approvel) and 24 units of Insulin everyday. What could be causing the pain and can I give her pain reliever?

Dr. Santosh-kumar Bashyal

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Looking into mother's problem, you have got both hypertension and diabetic under Insulin with hip pain.

First of all we need to understand what is the association between the current problem and existing diseases. Once we understand why it is happening and try to find its link then it is easy to understand the diseases to diagnosis and help long term treatment preparation.Uncontrolled diabetes can affect the muscles and skeleton, leading to joint pain, nerve damage.There is a link between diabetes, arthritis, and joint pain. Both rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and type 1 diabetes are autoimmune disorders. In both cases, the immune system is attacking an otherwise healthy part of the body.

According to Arthritis Foundation guidelines, losing 15 pounds can significantly improve the level of hip pain in a person with Osteoarthritis. So, I would recommend to do:

1. Radiography of hip joint Ap/Lateral view to assess OA changes.

2. RA Rheumatoid factor.

3. CRP-To assess condition of active joint inflammation and destruction.

I will follow up with the report.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

My right hip pains while doing certain leg movement. How to reduce the pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old male. My right hip pains when moving the leg in specific positions (best explained in a few photos). Need help in identifying what muscle or tendons are affected so I can move forward with a correct stretching. I suspect a few problems but need an expert opinion. I ...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Hypertension: Overcome the Highs

Article Overview: This article talks about hypertension, a condition in which the pressure exerted by the blood, on the walls of the arteries, is too high. Read Article

Blood pressure (BP) is the amount of pressure exerted by the flowing blood upon the walls of the arteries. The normal value is around 120/80 mmHg. Your blood pressure value is considered as hypertension when constantly there is a blood pressure of more than 140/90 mmHg. It is diagnosed by checking t...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now