Q. Does unprotected oral sex put someone at risk of HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 08, 2022

I spent three nights with a girl I met online a week ago. There was no intercourse, but we had unprotected oral sex, mutual masturbation, and kissing. I later found out that she has had a pretty crazy sexual history (unprotected anal sex and vaginal sex). Am I at risk of HIV? My worry is that she tried to rub my penis with her vagina, but I stopped her. I am worried about what if it touched? Do my other activities warrant a need for a test? Please help me. I am in agony, and I cannot live like this.

#

Unprotected oral sex carries negligible to low risk for HIV acquisition especially if there are fresh cuts or sores or lesions or bleeding gums. Mutual masturbation and kissing are quite safe. Rubbing vagina without entry, I do not think will cause any harm. Overall, I suggest you to get tested for HIV at four weeks of the exposure and if the result is negative, get a confirmatory HIV antibody test at three months.

I am confused since you said that most of the things are low risk but still you suggest me to take a test. Can I know why?

#

HIV test is a rapid test, highly sensitive and specific, and the result is available in just 20 minutes. I always suggest all my sexually active patients know their baseline HIV status at least. Since you had negligible to low-risk exposure (oral sex), it is recommended to undergo the test.

|