Q. What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Answered by Dr. Sushma Shah and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hiv Testing or Hiv Infection? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to know what would happen if for instance a drop of sweat or alcohol or water or any substance landed in the vile that contained the blood sample used for HIV testing? Would that small amount of fluid be enough to affect the test? 

Subsequently, I had also handed the medical representative a cup of urine for gonorrhea and syphilis. My worry is that some of that urine could have found its way to the vile used for the HIV test. I know this is paranoid but nevertheless wanted to get answered. Thank you so much.