Q. What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Mar 06, 2017

I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to know what would happen if for instance a drop of sweat or alcohol or water or any substance landed in the vile that contained the blood sample used for HIV testing? Would that small amount of fluid be enough to affect the test? 

Subsequently, I had also handed the medical representative a cup of urine for gonorrhea and syphilis. My worry is that some of that urine could have found its way to the vile used for the HIV test. I know this is paranoid but nevertheless wanted to get answered. Thank you so much.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

You are not paranoid, but genius.

• Yes, anything in the blood may change the results, and that is why we advise sterile things.
  • But, test results if positive never shows negative. HIV virus persists till it is in any wet medium. If blood dried, then no HIV virus persist.
  • Urine in no way mix with blood in the vial as the testing laboratory is separate.
  • I hope you are clear now. Do not worry. Negative means you are not infected with HIV.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

What are the chances of acquiring a HIV infection from a used, hair-cutting blade?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, my son went to a local salon for a haircut. He received small scratches on the neck while getting his haircut. I noticed that it was done with a used blade, which was not cleaned properly. Is there a risk of an HIV or other viral infection due to this? Please guide me.  Read Full »

As my HSV is positive, I am worried about HIV infection. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex with CSW. After 16 weeks, STD test HSV 1+2 IgG is 13.30, Chlamydia trachomatis antibody IgG is 1.13 and HIV 1/2 combo P24 test is .05. I am in depression that herpes is positive and in future any chance of HIV positive. I am unmarried.  Read Full »

I am worried about HIV after getting a tattoo. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I received a tattoo recently. The artist used a new needle, a new tune and a new ink pot. The ink was poured directly into the ink pot from a larger bottle, and he throws the ink out after each tattoo. He did not clean the gun grip. He did clean my arm before the tattoo was applied and ag...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now