Q. What are the possible ways I can get an HIV infection?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I would like to know what unprotected sex means. If I penetrate in a female's vagina without a condom but do not release any semen, will it be considered as unprotected sex? Also, can there be an HIV infection in such a case?

#

• By unprotected sex, we mean, having sex without the use of contraceptives like condom or birth control pills.
  • Although not ejaculating is less risky than ejaculating, an unprotected sex without ejaculation still carries some risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) acquisition.

Hope your query is answered. Feel free to ask in case of doubts.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I have heard that HIV can be acquired only through blood. So, does it mean that, if I have sex without contraceptives, but do not get into blood contact, I will not get HIV?

#

• Following are the routes of HIV transmission:
  1. HIV can be transmitted through the exchange of body fluids during unprotected sex (anal, vaginal or oral) with an infected person.
  2. Through blood transfusion
  3. Exchange of contaminated syringes or needles.
  4. From an HIV-infected mother to her child during pregnancy, delivery or through breast milk.
  • So, seminal and vaginal fluids even without traces of blood are potential sources of HIV transmission.

Hope I have answered your query. Best wishes.

So, in this case, should the other person be HIV infected, to get me infected? Hope I am not asking too many questions.

#

• Yes, only if your partner is infected, it can spread to you.

Do not hesitate to ask questions in case of more doubts. Best wishes.

For further queries consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I have been having sex outside since a couple of years, but have been using contraceptives properly. I got tested twice, a long time ago, but it came back negative. Only recently, in the last two times, I did not use the contraceptive but did not ejaculate. The first time, I penetrated but did not ejaculate. But, while having oral sex, I believe some liquid went into my mouth from her vagina. I believe she was not infected. The second time, I had it with a different person. While penetrating without a contraceptive, I did not ejaculate, but she ejaculated. Soon after, my penis began to itch. I got infected with Enterobacter cloacae. Is it an STD? What are the chances of me getting infected in both these cases?

#

• You had a low-risk exposure. I suggest you get tested for HIV at four weeks of last exposure and if the result is negative, get a confirmatory HIV antibody test at three and six months of last exposure.

|