Q. As my HSV is positive, I am worried about HIV infection. Please help.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had protected sex with CSW. After 16 weeks, STD test HSV 1+2 IgG is 13.30, Chlamydia trachomatis antibody IgG is 1.13 and HIV 1/2 combo P24 test is .05. I am in depression that herpes is positive and in future any chance of HIV positive. I am unmarried.

#

• HIV infection has a window period of one to three months and during which the test results may have false negative results.
  • According to WHO (World Health Organization), all results are considered conclusive at 12 weeks after the last high risk exposure.
  • As your results are negative, even at the 16th week, you can be sure that you have not acquired HIV infection. You need not repeat the tests any further and can leave all your fears.
  • Kindly upload the test result of HSV (human simplex virus), so that I can go through it and let you know better regarding the infectivity.

Revert back with the reports to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I have attached the reports.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you are clear of HIV.

• With regard to HSV, IgG positivity suggests that you had been infected some time ago, either clinical or subclinical. It does not suggest that you are infectious to others.
  • Nearly 80% of the population does have IgG antibodies to HSV by the age of 25 years, mostly through subclinical infection.
  • There is no reason to feel depressed as HSV is not always an STD (sexually transmitted disease). Although the virus remains dormant for long, it does not have any serious implications for your health.
  • Moreover, it is necessary to treat HSV only if you are currently symptomatic and having lesions, either over your genitalia or the angle of your lips.
  • Please allay your fears and get back to normal life. You are totally healthy, fit and fine.

Tablet Acyclovir 400 mg three times a day for a week in case you are symptomatic at present.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Chlamydia trachomatis antibody IgG is 1.13 is also positive.

#

• IgG positivity for Chlamydia on EIA method (environmental impact assessment) is insufficient to diagnose that you are currently infected.
  • The test of choice would be nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) from urethral discharge if you have any.
  • If you are symptomatic, then there is no need to treat it as you have already gained protective antibodies.

I suggest Azithral 1 g (Azithromycin) single dose if you are having symptomatic urethral discharge. Please consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

| 

Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can s...  Read Full »

Can Levaquin be used for gonorrhea?

Query: Hi doctor, I did IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 after four months of possible exposure, which was negative. Is it conclusive? Is there any need to do IgM test? If IgG is negative, can I consider that I am not infected?  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking levofloxacin and azithromycin tablets?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 46 kg. Over the last seven months, I am suffering from fever along with chest and back pain. I also have body ache and little blocked nose but not runny nose. The mucus keeps coming out from my mouth. I have headache and I feel very tired. My stool is ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now