Q. Does oral sex cause transmission of HIV?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

I feel depressed. I had physical contact before two years. I did oral sex and I received oral sex. After two years, I tested for HIV using ELISA, HIV duo, and ICT method. All the results were negative. I do not have any further exposure. Please tell me whether I am safe from HIV? Does twenty-four month is enough for HIV detection? I am a student and I cannot concentrate on my studies. Please clear my doubt.

#

I understand your concern and will definitely resolve it. You do not need to be stressed anymore. HIV duo test tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV 1 (human immunodeficiency virus) and 2. The accuracy of this test is ninety-nine percent after three months of post-exposure. The window period (the period before the development of detectable antibodies) is three months that is, twelve weeks.

I consider you to be conclusively negative for HIV because of the high accuracy of the duo test and the test is performed well beyond the window period (based on the history of a single exposure two years before the test). Do you have any symptoms of tiredness or fever? If you are physically fine, then I suggest you remain stress-free and concentrate on your studies. Practice safe sex in the future. Take care and all the best.

I need to add this, till now, there has not been a single documented case of HIV being transmitted through oral sex. If there are oral ulcers or the partner is suffering from other STDs (sexually transmitted disease), then the chances of transmission of HIV increase.

|