Q. Can oral sex result in STD?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Jun 23, 2016

Four days ago, I had oral sex with a lady, who I already know. Though no intercourse happened, I am worried about STDs. Please suggest if I have to undergo any test. I am very tensed for this and I want to clear my mind. I do not have any problem except stress. Also, please explain where should I get the test done.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Oral sex does not cause HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) to the recipient.

It may cause genital herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis and warts if these infections are present in the partner.

Your doctor may advise you to get HSV 1 and 2 (herpes simplex virus) and VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory) tests to detect sexually transmitted disease.

Urine test for gonorrhea is done only if there is any burning or pain while micturition.

These tests are usually free in government hospitals and private laboratory can also perform these tests.

For further doubts consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Why am I having sharp pain in my vagina when I pee?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 16 years old female. I urge to pee quite often. I have a sharp pain in my vagina when I pee. I have the urge to pee frequently. But when I go to the toilet, I do not have the urge to pee. Is this due to UTI or STD?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These symptoms are common in both STD (sexually transmitted diseases) and UTI (urinary tract infections). If you do not have vaginal discharge or any history of unprotected sex, then UTI is the cause. You can confirm the diagnosis with the following tests. You can do ur...  Read Full

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

How to treat genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly reviewed your health query and can well establish the sensitivity of issues you have.¬†Thanks for uploading the labs here for reference (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are positive. You also mentioned the lesio...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now