Q. My wife is HIV positive. Will it affect my kid?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

I am in sexual relationship with my wife since marriage for the past 100 days. Yesterday we both tested and identified that she is HIV positive and I am negative. Is there a high chance that the unprotected vaginal sex with HIV positive woman will result in HIV? Will it get cured in HIV window period? Am I safe? If I am negative, what I will do for pregnancy and kids? In future if I become positive what I will do for the same above?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• No, it is not necessary that you are suffering from HIV right now. But, the chances are high if you will not refrain yourself from unprotected sex with your wife.
  • Since the risk of transmission from female to male is less than 0.5 % per act so you might be free right now.
  • You both need to visit the nearest ART centre (anti retroviral therapy), so the treatment of your wife could be started.
  • Since your last exposure was a week ago, you are not a suitable candidate for post-exposure prophylaxis as it has to be given within 72 hours of unsafe exposure.
  • Regarding children, the chances of them being HIV positive remains there. But, with recent antiviral treatment it is not necessary that they would also be affected.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|