Q. What is the reason for hives? Are these harmful?

Dr. Kakkar

I am getting red rashes on my skin when I apply some pressure or when I scratch my skin. They disappear after a few minutes. I consulted a dermatologist, and I am following these medicines. I am taking Allegra 120 mg and Rantac 150 mg. My doctor told me to continue the medication for a while. Do I need to take these medications for a few months? Can I have any side effect after using these medicines for a long duration? What is the reason for having hives? Are these harmful? What is the permanent remedy?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You have urticaria or hives. These medicines are safe, and they can be continued for a while if the problem persists. Hives can happen in response to a food allergen or food preservative, medications, infections, and alcohol. A large number of urticarias are idiopathic. There is no known cause for having it. Urticaria is mainly symptomatic, and it is treated with oral antihistamines.

|