Q. What is the reason for hives? Are these harmful?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Nov 05, 2018

I am getting red rashes on my skin when I apply some pressure or when I scratch my skin. They disappear after a few minutes. I consulted a dermatologist, and I am following these medicines. I am taking Allegra 120 mg and Rantac 150 mg. My doctor told me to continue the medication for a while. Do I need to take these medications for a few months? Can I have any side effect after using these medicines for a long duration? What is the reason for having hives? Are these harmful? What is the permanent remedy?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You have urticaria or hives. These medicines are safe, and they can be continued for a while if the problem persists. Hives can happen in response to a food allergen or food preservative, medications, infections, and alcohol. A large number of urticarias are idiopathic. There is no known cause for having it. Urticaria is mainly symptomatic, and it is treated with oral antihistamines.

What could be the reason for my skin itching with welts and hives? How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I have this skin problem that I first noticed before three years. My skin will itch like crazy and break out into welts and hives. The symptoms will last for a few hours then go away. Some days I experience more than two outbreaks. The itching, bumps, and hives most likely appear after I...  Read Full »

Impetigo, an Infectious Disease in Children

Article Overview: Impetigo, one of the most common skin infections among kids usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area. Read Article

Impetigo is the most common skin infection in children throughout the world. Bacteria mainly enters through break in the skin, which may allow bacteria to invade the skin. After invasion bacteria multiply in deep layers of the skin and leads to blister formation. There are two classic forms of im...  Read Article