Q. My skin itches with welts and hives without any kind of food or medicine allergy. Why?

Dr. Vinay Kumar

I have this skin problem that I first noticed before three years. My skin will itch like crazy and break out into welts and hives. The symptoms will last for a few hours then go away. Some days I experience more than two outbreaks. The itching, bumps, and hives most likely appear after I undress and remove all of my clothing. It does not matter whether the weather is hot, cold, windy, rainy or dry I will have an outbreak. I do not have any known food or medicine allergies. I also do not take any medications to ease the itching and swelling. What do you think it could be?

#

I have examined the pictures and taken note of your concerns. I think the underlying cause is a parasitic infestation which is known to give rise to itching in evenings and nights and also results in the formation of wheals as noticed in the pictures.

The treatment for this condition is with the help of following measures. GBHC lotion Gamma Benzene Hexachloride to be applied as three applications every week each 12 hours apart. The first application after a bath and to the whole body below neck followed by two similar applications at 12 hours gap but without intervening bath. Repeated every week for five weeks.

Tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg a day for the whole duration. A single tablet of Ivermectin 12 mg only at the start of treatment, just once. It takes some weeks for the itching and symptoms to subside.

Disinfection of bed linen and garments with boiling water or steam ironing.

|