Q. Was my pregnancy test negative because I took it too soon? Please advise.

Dr. C Sharath Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana

For the past two months I've had 27 day cycles. However, my period is usually not regular. Today is day 27 of my cycle and I have had unprotected sex this month around ovulation time. I still have not gotten my period. I took a test this morning and it was negative. I don't really have any pregnancy symptoms and have not had my normal PMS symptoms either. Could I be getting a false negative on the pregnancy test? What are the chances it is not yet detecting the pregnancy hormone?

# Most home pregnancy tests are reliable.
Most tests have an accuracy of over 99% .
False Negative Pregnancy Test
A false negative pregnancy test is when you are pregnant but the test comes up negative. The most common reason for a false negative is that you took the test too early.

Even if your period is late according to your typical cycle, you might have ovulated later in the month. It's not uncommon to occasionally have an an irregular cycle. Also , your count of when your last period occurred could be wrong.

You won't get a positive home pregnancy test until enough days have passed since ovulation and conception and your body has build up enough of the hormone the test detects.

In very rare cases, you can have a false-positive result. This means you're not pregnant but the test says you are. You could have a false-positive result if you have blood or protein in your urine.
Certain drugs, such as tranquilizers, anticonvulsants, hypnotics, and fertility drugs, could cause false-positive results

| 

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

I am sleep deprived and stressed. Will it affect my period?

Query: Hello doctor, I missed my period but I am not sure why. I am not pregnant. My last period was on 14th of last month and my period is due on 10th of this month. I do have a lot of disturbed sleep due to my 18-month-old baby who does not sleep very well and wakes at night. I am always very tired. My...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now