Q. I just found out I am pregnant. Is there any risk of malformation from Minoxidil?

Published on Feb 27, 2018

I am 28 year old female who is overweight. I have been using Minoxidil 5 % topical solution for alopecia areata on the scalp. I just found out my urine pregnancy test is positive. Now I have stopped using it. I might be in the early weeks of pregnancy. Should I be worried about the fetus? Is there any risk of malformation? Can you please let me know asap?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Truly speaking, there is no much data available on this. So, it is not possible to say convincingly anything.

It basically falls in category C meaning, no human studies are available but animal studies have shown some adverse effects. This is for oral consumption and prolonged intake. But, in your case, it being topical and for a very short period, the probability of the child having any congenital anomalies is very less.

Even in females with oral consumption, some children have had some problems but the mother had other problems as well. So no convincing data is available. But, in you, the probability is less.

So I think, at this moment there is no need to worry since chances of malformations are less, but you should get a malformation scan done at 16 to 18 weeks of pregnancy.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

I had unprotected sex. What are my chances of getting pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with my boy friend two days before my actual period, at around 5pm. I took an i-pill within one hour after sex i.e, before 6 pm. It is three days more than my actual period date and I still have not got my periods. What are my chances of getting pregnant? Are...  Read Full »