Q. How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Answered by Dr. Uzma Arqam and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Endometriosis or Pregnancy Health? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as well as extremely low in iron and electrolytes. Turns out she is pregnant. We are already scheduled for further doctor visits in the next few days.She is 35 and has had several ectopic pregnancies as well as three miscarriages. She has never been able to carry longer than four months. We have tried a lot to help her be healthy and have a baby. Two years ago, we decided to stop trying - too much pain, physical and mental to go through again and again.

She is certainly under four weeks. It could be false, we are getting more tests. Her ob-gyn is not the best. We will be seeking another. So, here are my questions.

• If she does not want to be pregnant, will the Zoladex terminate the pregnancy, or will she need to have a physical or chemical abortion first?
  • If she does want to be pregnant, what are the dangers associated with Zoladex and pregnancy?

Given that her endometriosis has advanced to her pancreas and other organs, is it even possible to carry to term? What are the chances of carrying to term?