Q. I have slight pain when I move my left eye. What could cause this?

Dr. Asha Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 18 years old. I have slight eye pain when I move my left eye only, and it feels like there something in behind; my eyes are not too red. Last week at five o clock, I cannot control my left eye when I woke up. It feels like something preventing my eye. After 5 to 10 minutes, it came back to normal. Last week seems a kind of more pain than now. Until that, it did not happen again. There are no changes or problems with vision in my eyes, and I do not experience any headache. I cannot go to the hospital because of this pandemic. Please help me.

#

Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your issue. I did not quite understand what you mean by you could not control the eye.

• Do you mean the movement of the eye?
  • Do you have any history of a stuffy nose, blocked nose, or sinusitis?
  • Is the eye red now?
  • Is it pain as something has fallen into the eye?

If you have sinusitis, try steam inhalation for five days, twice daily.

What I want you to do is find a red object like a red T-shirt. Perhaps, close each eye and compare any difference between the color seen between the right and left eye. If there is a difference, you might have to meet a neurologist.

If not, you can use an anti-inflammatory eye drop like Bromfenac eye drops a day thrice for one week and see if that helps.

I would like to see a photo of your eyes if possible. Just reply to this message.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I always have a stuffy nose, and sometimes I cannot breathe on the other side of my nose. In my eye, something is pressing on the tear duct of my left eye. My color vision is fine.

#

According to the second and third photos, there appears to be a bump in the inner corner of the left eye (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you sent. It might be a cyst or a hordeolum, or punctal inflammation. Try a hot compress twice a day for five days along with Moxifloxacin eye drops every three hourly from 7 am to 10 pm for one week. You can still use the Bromfenac eye drops I mentioned earlier if the pain is unbearable. Let me know how you are in five days.

|