Q. Please advise regarding my HSG results and my husband's semen analysis.

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Published on Apr 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 03, 2019

My HSG test report is as follows. Impression: Contrast spill into the peritoneal cavity was not visualized on the left side, however faintly probably seen on the right side. Clinical correlation is suggested for further management. What does this mean?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) However, I would like you to answer a few questions so that I can help you better. Did you get a pelvic ultrasound scan done?

Your HSG report says tubes visualized and no dilatation seen, this is good. But the second part mentions contrast spill into the peritoneal cavity was not visualized on the left side, however faintly probably seen on the right side, this may indicate a block in the tubes at their outer end.

If there is block of the tubes at their outer end, then hydrotubation (tubal flushing) can open it. Alternatively, a laparoscopy and fimbriolysis may open it. Blocked tubes are usually caused by Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) due to infection with chlamydia, tuberculosis, and other microbes and also by endometriosis, a condition where there is a collection of menstrual type blood around the uterus, ovaries, and tubes.

If you can send me the image, I can comment better.

Thank you doctor for your reply.

I did not get a pelvic ultrasound scan done. I just had the HSG test and a few blood reports and my husband's semen analysis. I have attached the image for HSG and my husband's reports. I would like to know what to do next.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Your husband's semen report says motility is low 9+18 and also pus cells 3-4. Does he drink alcohol or smoke? Did he have any exposure to heat or chemicals or any past history of major illness?

He will need to do blood or serum tests like TSH, testosterone, sugar - fasting, prolactin, Hb, TC, DC, and also semen culture and sensitivity. He also has to do an ultrasound of the scrotum.

According to my interpretation of your HSG report, the block appears not at the outer but the inner end of tubes. This is often caused by spasm, and there may not be a true blockage. Next step is laparoscopy, but you may wait till your husband's report becomes normal, which can be improved by medicines.

What causes stomach pain and testicle pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48 year old. I was never sick, I never go to a doctor. I do not take medications. I have worked out for 30 years five times a week. Nothing real heavy these days (treadmill three times a week - fast walking). Symptoms started about a month ago with intermittent dull stomach pai...  Read Full »

Can I conceive naturally after endometriosis surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have been trying to conceive for a year with endometriosis on ovary. My husband is 32 and normal. My AMH is 1.85. I am planning to get laparoscopic surgery. Can laparoscopic surgery reduce my AMH further more? What should I do?  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now