Q. Please advise regarding my HSG results and my husband's semen analysis.

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 27, 2022

Hello doctor,

My HSG test report is as follows. Impression: Contrast spill into the peritoneal cavity was not visualized on the left side, however faintly probably seen on the right side. Clinical correlation is suggested for further management. What does this mean?



Welcome to

I have read and understood your problem. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) However, I would like you to answer a few questions so that I can help you better. Did you get a pelvic ultrasound scan done?

Your HSG report says tubes visualized and no dilatation seen, this is good. But the second part mentions contrast spill into the peritoneal cavity was not visualized on the left side, however faintly probably seen on the right side, this may indicate a block in the tubes at their outer end.

If there is block of the tubes at their outer end, then hydrotubation (tubal flushing) can open it. Alternatively, a laparoscopy and fimbriolysis may open it. Blocked tubes are usually caused by Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) due to infection with chlamydia, tuberculosis, and other microbes and also by endometriosis, a condition where there is a collection of menstrual type blood around the uterus, ovaries, and tubes.

If you can send me the image, I can comment better.

Thank you doctor for your reply.

I did not get a pelvic ultrasound scan done. I just had the HSG test and a few blood reports and my husband's semen analysis. I have attached the image for HSG and my husband's reports. I would like to know what to do next.



Welcome back to

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

Your husband's semen report says motility is low 9+18 and also pus cells 3-4. Does he drink alcohol or smoke? Did he have any exposure to heat or chemicals or any past history of major illness?

He will need to do blood or serum tests like TSH, testosterone, sugar - fasting, prolactin, Hb, TC, DC, and also semen culture and sensitivity. He also has to do an ultrasound of the scrotum.

According to my interpretation of your HSG report, the block appears not at the outer but the inner end of tubes. This is often caused by spasm, and there may not be a true blockage. Next step is laparoscopy, but you may wait till your husband's report becomes normal, which can be improved by medicines.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, PCOS, endometriosis, pelvic infections, has had appendisectomy etc ...   Read full

How to improve the chance of pregnancy in case of a semen infection?

.. you doing? I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Let me start on a positive note by saying that she stands a very good chance of pregnancy, but there are some small issues in your infertility treatment which I ...   Read full

Is an ultrasound not essential to detect the cause of lump in testicle?

.. do not worry. Testicular lumps are very common in young people. As your urologist has examined you, there are high chances of it being a benign cyst arising from the epididymis. But, I will suggest an ultrasound scrotum just to be sure and conf...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.