Q. The blisters on my penis look like herpetic lesions, then why did HSV test come back negative?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Jun 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 37 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs, and I am 5.10 feet tall. I had blisters on my penis, so I went to a clinic. The doctor said that it appears to be herpes, but because I do not have pain, fever, or any other symptoms, he believed this was from friction. He told me to get HSV-1 and HSV-2 tests, which came back negative. However, I have read that this test may have been done too soon and my body might not have enough antibodies to detect the disease. Is this correct? If you have blisters from herpes, would not your body immediately have antibodies building up to fight the virus causing this, enough to register on the blood work? I am attaching a photo of the blisters.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

Thank you for the query. I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It appears to be herpes simplex lesions. But, it may be due to any irritation or friction too. It may be due to HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 or 2 if it is herpes.
  • Yes, the antibodies may take few days to appear. The test also can come false negative in few cases. You can retest for HSV 1 and 2 IgM and IgG antibodies after 1 to 2 weeks.
  • If you had exposure to herpes infected person, it could be more likely due to herpes. Continue the treatment as advised by your doctor.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I picked up a copy of the reports today, and the test performed was IgG. I have read it could take up to 12 weeks to get an accurate result. I have had no other symptoms. However, I think it might be herpes too. Unfortunately, the doctor again said that it was not herpes because I had no pain. But I have read that it is not a significant symptom. Am I right?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

• Pain, burning, irritation, fever, etc., need not be present in all patients. IgG appears late after few days or weeks.
  • IgM appears first but later disappears. You can go for IgM and IgG antibodies for HSV-1 and 2 after two weeks. Herpes is known to recur. Hope for the best.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am at the risk of HIV AIDS. Please help.

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital l...  Read Full