Q. The blisters on my penis look like herpetic lesions, then why did HSV test come back negative?

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hsv or Herpes 1? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 37 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs, and I am 5.10 feet tall. I had blisters on my penis, so I went to a clinic. The doctor said that it appears to be herpes, but because I do not have pain, fever, or any other symptoms, he believed this was from friction. He told me to get HSV-1 and HSV-2 tests, which came back negative. However, I have read that this test may have been done too soon and my body might not have enough antibodies to detect the disease. Is this correct? If you have blisters from herpes, would not your body immediately have antibodies building up to fight the virus causing this, enough to register on the blood work? I am attaching a photo of the blisters.